Cho Quan Church
Cho Quan Church, the
The Cho Quan Church at 120
Tran Binh Trong Street in District 5 exists over 100 years old and is one of the
oldest parishes in HCM City so far.
1674,the parishioners from northern and central regions built up an oratory at
the present-day church. In early 1720, Father Jos� Garcia set up the first
church after receiving the Cho Quan Parish. In 1727, Father Jos� restored the
church on a larger area, which was burnt to the ground when the Chan Lap troops
attacked Saigon in 1731. Two years later, a new larger church, 55 meters in
length and 20 meters width, was constructed. At that time, this was the only
church in the Saigon � Cho Lon area.
1775, Father Di�go upgraded the church. In 1782, it was destroyed during the war
between the Tay Son Dynasty and the Lord Nguyen. The church was rebuilt in 1793
with the support of Lord Nguyen Anh and then collapsed during the uprising of Le
Van Khoi and the Catholicism-banning period under the reigns of Kings Minh Mang,
Thieu Tri and Tu Duc.
After this period, a number of parishioners collected pillars of abandoned
houses to rebuild the church and a 20-meter high tower. From 1882-1885, Father
Nicolas Ham built a new church that exists until now. Father Nicolas Ham died in
1886 and was buried under the foundation of the new church. Construction
continued in 1887-1897. . The big ugrading was made in 1926 and a small repair
later has been done regularly then, increasing the solemnity of the church.
100 years of construction, Cho Quan is still considered one of the largest and
most beautiful churches in the Cho Lon area.