Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Link Web
About HCM City > Posts
PlacesMonday, 06/18/2007, 08:50

Nguyen Du Road - named after great poet

Nguyen Du Road - named after gre

Nguyen Du Road - named after great poet

 

In the French colonial era, the road was composed of two: Lucien Mossard Road from Nguyen Binh Khiem Road to Tu Do Road (now Dong Khoi Road) and Taberd Road. After historical changes in 1955, the Saigon administration joined the two roads into one and named it Nguyen Du.

 

Located in the wards of Ben Nghe and Ben Thanh, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Nguyen Du Road nowadays starts at Ton Duc Thang Road and ends at Cach Mang Thang Tam Road (before Le Van Duyet Road, near Saigon Junction). The road is nearly 2,000m long

 

On Nguyen Du Road, there are famous buildings and historical sites like:


On the right side (Paris Commune Square - Nguyen Du - Dong Khoi) is the Duc Ba Church. Construction of this church was started in 1877 and completed in 1880 under the design of French architect Bonard. The church has a modern Roman style, following the Notre Dame Church in Paris but smaller. At the time, it was one of the most beautiful churches in the French colonies.

 

At the crossroad of Nguyen Du and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, on the right is the Independence Palace (now the Reunification Palace). Construction of the palace started on February 23, 1868 and completed in 1873 under the design of French architect Hetmite. The palace is now a place for receptions and important meetings and seminars, as well as a place of interest for tourists.

 

On the left of the crossroad at Nguyen Du and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia is the Saigon Courthouse, of which construction was started in 1881 and completed in 1885 according to the design of French architect Alfred Foulhoux. It is considered one of the most successful among hundreds of colonial buildings. It is now the city�s People�s Court.


On the left of the crossroad of Nguyen Du - Huyen Tran Cong Chua - Thu Khoa Huan is the office of the Ho Chi Minh City Police Newspaper at 110 Nguyen Du Road. Next to the crossroad of Nguyen Du and Truong Dinh is the Labour Culture Park (Tao Dan Park). Before 1975, it was the Cercle Sportif Saigonnais. At the end of the 19th century, there were only some dancehalls and cottage motels for French officers to practise fighting with swords in this area. The area, now the Labour Culture Palace, has become one of the largest center for cultural, art and sport activities for the city�s people.


Near the end of the road, on the right is the Nguyen Du Gymnasium. This is a well-equipped sports center, meeting standards for  national and international tournaments as well as culture. tourism, and trade exhibitions and fairs. On the left is the city police�s Entry and Exit Management Department , which is in charge of dealing with applications for entry and exit for tourism, visiting relatives, and marriage by Vietnamese and overseas Vietnamese.


The road is named after the great poet Nguyen Du. He was a great poet who had the names of To Nhu, Thanh Hien, Nguyen Du, and Hong Son Liep Ho. He was born in the year of the Chicken of 1765 but many books write he was born on the 23rd of the 11th lunar month or January 3, 1776. He was the son of Duke Nguyen Nghiem and Tran Thi Tan. His hometown was Tien Dien Village, Nghi Xuan District, Nghe An Province (now Ha Tinh Province) but he was born in Thang Long. His major works were Doan truong tan thanh (Truyen Kieu) in Vietnamese, Thanh Hien thi tap in Chinese, Nam Trung tap ngam in Chinese and Bac hanh tap luc in Chinese.


Views: 1 Print Back
 
Date: