Nguyen Du Road - named after gre
Nguyen Du Road - named after
In the French colonial era, the
road was composed of two: Lucien Mossard Road from Nguyen Binh Khiem Road to Tu
Do Road (now Dong Khoi Road) and Taberd Road. After historical changes in 1955,
the Saigon administration joined the two roads into one and named it Nguyen Du.
Located in the wards of Ben Nghe
and Ben Thanh, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Nguyen Du Road nowadays starts at
Ton Duc Thang Road and ends at Cach Mang Thang Tam Road (before Le Van Duyet
Road, near Saigon Junction). The road is nearly 2,000m long
On Nguyen Du Road, there are
famous buildings and historical sites like:
On the right side (Paris Commune Square - Nguyen Du - Dong Khoi) is the Duc Ba
Church. Construction of this church was started in 1877 and completed in 1880
under the design of French architect Bonard. The church has a modern Roman
style, following the Notre Dame Church in Paris but smaller. At the time, it was
one of the most beautiful churches in the French colonies.
At the crossroad of Nguyen Du
and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, on the right is the Independence Palace (now the
Reunification Palace). Construction of the palace started on February 23, 1868
and completed in 1873 under the design of French architect Hetmite. The palace
is now a place for receptions and important meetings and seminars, as well as a
place of interest for tourists.
On the left of the crossroad at
Nguyen Du and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia is the Saigon Courthouse, of which construction
was started in 1881 and completed in 1885 according to the design of French
architect Alfred Foulhoux. It is considered one of the most successful among
hundreds of colonial buildings. It is now the city�s People�s Court.
On the left of the crossroad of Nguyen Du - Huyen Tran Cong Chua - Thu Khoa Huan
is the office of the Ho Chi Minh City Police Newspaper at 110 Nguyen Du Road.
Next to the crossroad of Nguyen Du and Truong Dinh is the Labour Culture Park
(Tao Dan Park). Before 1975, it was the Cercle Sportif Saigonnais. At the end of
the 19th century, there were only some dancehalls and cottage motels
for French officers to practise fighting with swords in this area. The area, now
the Labour Culture Palace, has become one of the largest center for cultural,
art and sport activities for the city�s people.
Near the end of the road, on the right is the Nguyen Du Gymnasium. This is a
well-equipped sports center, meeting standards for national and international
tournaments as well as culture. tourism, and trade exhibitions and fairs. On the
left is the city police�s Entry and Exit Management Department , which is in
charge of dealing with applications for entry and exit for tourism, visiting
relatives, and marriage by Vietnamese and overseas Vietnamese.
The road is named after the great poet Nguyen Du. He was a great poet who had
the names of To Nhu, Thanh Hien, Nguyen Du, and Hong Son Liep Ho. He was born in
the year of the Chicken of 1765 but many books write he was born on the 23rd
of the 11th lunar month or January 3, 1776. He was the son of Duke
Nguyen Nghiem and Tran Thi Tan. His hometown was Tien Dien Village, Nghi Xuan
District, Nghe An Province (now Ha Tinh Province) but he was born in Thang Long.
His major works were Doan truong tan thanh (Truyen Kieu) in Vietnamese, Thanh
Hien thi tap in Chinese, Nam Trung tap ngam in Chinese and Bac hanh tap luc in