Le Loi Road
Le Loi Road
The road runs from
the Lam Son Site and the Opera House to the Quach Thi Trang Site in front of Ben
Thanh Market, it is 607m long and 56m wide. When French colonists occupied
Saigon, the road was numbered 13 and from 1865 until the Geneva Agreement was
signed, it was named Bonard. On March 22, 1955, the local authorities renamed it
Le Loi Road. It is one of the oldest roads in the city.
Since the Southern
liberation and national reunification in 1975, the name of Le Loi has been
Major events that
have taken place on Le Loi Road: In 1928, the official meeting of the Southern
section of the Vietnam Communist Party was organized at Room 5, Tan Hoa Hotel,
88 Bonard Road or currently 88/5 Le Loi Road, Ben Thanh Ward. On 27 June, 1963,
Vietnamese fighters killed a US adviser in front of the Vinh Loi Cinema, now 123
Restaurant and Kim Do office building leased by Saigontourist. On October 10,
1974, hundreds of journalists and thousands of people demonstrated on Le Loi
Street from Ben Thanh Market to the Opera House to oppose the Saigon
administration�s prohibition of many newspapers, making journalist �beggars�.
October 10, 1974 was also called �Beggar Journalist Day�.
At the crossroads
of Nguyen Hue, Pasteur and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia and the T-junction of Nguyen Trung
Truc (right from the Opera House), Le Loi Road has three two-way lanes for
four-wheel vehicles (trucks are prohibited). The lanes on the two sides of the
road are for two-wheel vehicles. On the right, houses are numbered with even
numbers, increasing from the Lam Son Site to Ben Thanh Market. On the left,
numbers are odd, increasing from Ben Thanh Market to the Lam Son Site. Near the
Quach Thi Trang Square and Tran Nguyen Han Statue is the city Emergency Center
at 125 Le Loi Road, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1. Built in 1937 by Huibon Hoa, the
center then was called Chan Y Vien. Before 1975, it was renamed Do Thanh
Hospital and then Sai Gon Hospital - Free Hospital. From 1975 to 1985, the
hospital was called Multi-Department Hospital with emphasis on surgery. Since
October 1985, it became Emergency Center 5 under the city�s Health Care
Department and has the name of City Emergency Center of Saigon Hospital.
This is one of the most beautiful roads in the city, luring a large number of
forgeign and domestic tourists to its several trading and tourism activities.
The road is hectic both night and day.