Xa Loi Pagoda
Xa Loi Pagoda
The Xa Loi Pagoda is located
on a quiet area in HCM City�s District 3. Its main gate faces Ba Huyen Thanh
Quan Street and the auxiliary gate is on Su Thien Chieu Street. The pagoda was
built in August 1956 from
contributions of people around 21 southern provinces. Its design was made by
architects Tran Van Duong and Do Ba Vinh. The pagoda was opened in May 1958.
The Vietnamese Society of Buddhism organized the pagoda�s construction for the
purpose of worshiping the remains of Buddha. The monastic community and
buddhists got accustomed to calling it Xa Loi Pagoda, so the pagoda was
inaugurated as such, being a familiar name to everybody.
The pagoda includes the sanctuary, halls, a library, office, living rooms and
other areas. The 31-meter by 15-meter sanctuary on the first floor is decorated
simply and solemnly, for worshipping the statue of Buddha which was made in 1958
by the Bien Hoa Fine Arts School. On the walls are paintings introducing the
life of Buddha. The paintings were drawn in 1959-1960 by Nguyen Van Long. On the
left side of the pagoda is a seven-story tower, built from December 1960 to
The pagoda used to be the headquarters of the Vietnamese Society of Buddhism,
which was set up in 1951 in Saigon (now HCM City). From 1981 to May 1993, the
pagoda became the southern office of the Vietnam Buddhist Shangha. The office
was then moved to Quang Duc Zen Monastery at 294 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia Street,
Thanks to its historical value and contributions to Buddhism, Xa Loi Pagoda
receives a lot of international guests, buddhists and domestic visitors.